Introducing the Boiler Upgrade Scheme
Launching in April 2022, up to 90,000 homes will benefit from renewable energy technology- all thanks to a new £450m fund.
You can receive a government grant of:
- £5,000 towards a new air source heat pump or a biomass boiler
- £6,000 towards a ground source heat pump.
Save money on your energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint!
How will the scheme work?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme will work on a “first-come, first-served basis,” with customers having to first to register their interest with heat pump or biomass installers, like OHM Energy.
We will then apply for the £5,000 or £6,000 grant from Ofgem on your behalf and remove that amount from your total installation bill.
Are you eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
You are eligible for a heat pump grant if you meet these criteria:
- You are a homeowner or small business owner
- Your property is in England or Wales
- Unless your building is custom-built or listed, you have been issued an energy performance certificate (EPC) in the past 10 years with no recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation, or you carry out any insulation recommendations before getting a heat pump installed.
To qualify for a biomass boiler discount, your property must also meet high emissions standards in a rural area and have no mains gas connection.
- 1st April 2022 – Commissioning date: Low carbon heating systems that are commissioned on or after this date will be eligible for support under the scheme provided all eligibility criteria are met.
- 11th April 2022– Installer account creation opens: This enables installers to open an account for the scheme with Ofgem, the scheme administrator. At this stage businesses will be verified upfront and once an account is set up they will not need to go through this process again. This will make applying for vouchers a smoother process.
- 23rd May 2022 – Voucher applications open: Installers will be able to apply for vouchers for grants from this date on behalf of property owners. They will also be able to redeem vouchers and receive payment once they provide evidence of commissioning. These will be the main steps:
- Voucher application – Installers will download a voucher application form, complete and submit this to Ofgem via email.
- Property Owner Consent – Once the application is received, an email to the property owner will be triggered asking them to provide consent, which will be completed on GOV.UK. Installers will be notified by email of the outcome.
- Voucher Redemption – Once the product is installed and commissioned, installers will email Ofgem with the evidence required for a voucher redemption, including the MCS certificate number.
How do you apply?
This is an installer-led application process.
We will be able to apply for your voucher on a first come first served basis.
After the voucher arrives, you’ll have three months to use it to install an air source heat pump or biomass boiler, or six months for a ground source heat pump installation.
After the installation is complete, you’ll be able to redeem your voucher to reduce the overall cost.
For example, a heat pump that would ordinarily cost £10,000 would now only cost you £5000 (less than many pollution-emitting gas boilers).
To apply for your BUS voucher, speak to one of our experts on 01323 739474.